The Ladies' Library Association’s mission is to enrich the community through literacy, arts and culture, and to preserve the LLA building and history. In 1878, the LLA constructed their building on Park Street, the first building in the nation completely planned, built, funded, and owned by a women’s organization. With almost 200 current members, the LLA continues to serve the community through a variety of activities promoting literacy, arts and culture. Currently, the LLA rents this historic facility for a variety of private and public events.
The LLA grew from a reading and sewing circle started in 1844. In 1852, circle members formally organized as the Ladies’ Library Association, the first women’s club established in the State of Michigan and the third in the nation. Historically, the LLA influenced the development women's organizations throughout the upper Midwest and promoted the cause of equal education for women. Considered to be a fine example of the late "Venetian Gothic" style, it is known for its brick, stone and tile exterior and stained glass windows. A second-floor auditorium has been the site for artistic and cultural events since the building opened.
333 South Park Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49001, USA
Primary Contact: Janet Heller
Non Profit Status: 501(c)(3)
Currently Accepting Volunteers?: No